CLUB DELEGATE PROGRAM
We are in the process of recruiting active Pennsylvania Golf Association members, to be a Club Delegate for your club.

 KEYSTONE PARTNERSHIP
The Keystone Partnership has been created by the Pennsylvania Golf Association in order that serious golfers can synergize with us in our efforts towards promoting Golf for the Commomwealth!

 FAQS
Who and what is The Pennsylvania Golf Association? Check out Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for all your answers.

  PAGA MEMBER CLUBS

Hershey’s Mill Golf Club
401 Chandler Drive
West Chester, PA  19380                     Printable Version
web:  www.hersheysmillgolfclub.com

Architect:  Dave & William Gordon
Founded:  1979

 
 Club Contacts 
 
 
 President Roger Karr (610) 431-1600 
 Golf Professional Matthew Harvey (610) 692-6592 
 General Manager Teresa Redcay (610) 431-1600 x11 
 Superintendent Joseph Owsik (215) 919-8255 
 
 Directions 
 
 

view larger map
 
 Club History 
 
 

It was on Dec. 7, 1979, that Hershey’s Mill Golf Club was founded. Its course is the centerpiece of Hersey’s Mill Villages, a community of homes in West Chester, Pa. designed principally for people 50 years of age and over. The initial board of directors included David Acton, David F. Crockett, Sr., David F. Crockett, Jr., William G. Crockett, John F. Trickett, Joseph W. Conlon, Herbert F. Hall, and John B. Lewis. David Acton served as the first president of the new club. John Lewis succeeded him.


A 1981 photo at Hershey’s Mill showing 18th green in foreground, clubhouse in background

Doylestown’s Dave Gordon had been chosen to design the course, construction of which began in late 1978. Subsequently, however, William E. Maddox, of Batavia, Ill., was brought in to lay out and build the eighteen. The son of golf course architect and builder Charles E. Maddox, Bill Maddox, after working for a number of years with his father, fashioned several courses on his own in the 1970s, mainly on the west coast of Florida. Maddox incorporated four holes from the original Gordon plan into his design.

Nine holes opened for play on June 15, 1980 (there were 18 tees). A tournament marked the occasion. Fifty-one golfers teed off following a shotgun blast. They finished amidst thunderclaps in a violent storm. Since the clubhouse was not yet completed, the after-golf celebration took place in Winfield Hall, the community center.

Six months later, in December 1980, the clubhouse opened its doors. It contained a dining room with a seating capacity of 130, locker rooms for men and women, six rooms for overnight guests, and a golf shop. Ben Steele was the club’s first professional. The clubhouse was formally dedicated on Jan. 31, 1981.

By the end of May, 1981, all eighteen holes were in play. A round then started at what is now the 10th tee; the nines were switched in July 1982.

Since the opening of the full 18, several changes have been made in the course, most notably the lengthening of the 2nd hole to a par 5. Both the 6th and the 8th greens have been rebuilt.

Routed over attractively rolling terrain and dotted with a number of proud old hardwoods and evergreens, Hersey’s Mill measures 6,292 yards from the regular markers (6,702 from the back, 5,634 from the front) and plays to a par of 72. A look at the card discloses no par 5 as long as 500 yards and only two par 4s—the 433-yard 6th and the grand 417-yard 18th, over water, then uphill to a dangerously sloping green—requiring some show of strength. But the card can be misleading. A combination of narrow fairways, doglegs, boundaries, and elevation changes— plus greens that generally call for a very assured touch— produces a course rating, from the regular markers, of 70.7 and a Slope of 126. The community may well have been developed with senior citizens in mind, but the golf course makes little concession to the age of the players.

The Golf Association of Philadelphia Magazine highlighted Hershey Mill’s wastewater treatment plant in its Fall 2014 issue.


Back to Listing ]

Copyright © 2018 The Pennsylvania Golf Association. All Rights Reserved.
Developed by AppNet Solutions