| Club History || |
Although Lookaway Golf Club, which opened in 1999, is relatively new, there is quite an air of history at the club. The property itself dates back to 1713, when it was deeded by William Penn (Deed #1 in Buckingham Township, Pa.) to Thomas Watson, of Yorkshire, England. A portion of the building, which serves as the clubhouse, was built sometime around 1752 and is believed to be the oldest building used as a clubhouse in the United States.
Over the course of the next 170 years, the property changed hands several times with the building being used as, among other things, a home and a schoolhouse. In 1923, Theodore W. Sterling purchased the active dairy farm, known then as Paxon Farm, from Edward and Albert Paxon. Mr. Sterling renamed the farm Lookaway, and was well known to locals as a source for providing fresh milk. That milk was provided in bottles sporting a logo comprised of the entwined initials of the farmís owner, Mr. Sterling. The logo remains as the symbol of Lookaway Golf Club under a handshake agreement between the Sterling family and the Lookaway partners, who purchased the property in 1997 and played the first rounds of golf there in May 1999. The Lookaway partners are proud to display the logo that has been synonymous with quality and excellence in Buckingham for more than 80 years.